There are many challenges around food. A major challenge is the way unhealthy food and drinks are widely available and heavily marketed today.
Consumption of unhealthy foods and drinks is now considered the biggest contributor to disease and illness in Australia, more so than cigarettes. A poor diet is strongly linked to tooth decay and chronic diseases including diabetes, heart disease and some cancers.
The way we grow, use and waste food is also impacting on our environment and the very resources which support our wellbeing.
healthAbility works in partnership with a range of organisations to support increased access to healthy food and healthy food choices.
Current projects and collaborations:
- healthAbility is currently working alongside Nillumbik Shire Council, North East Primary Care Partnership and the community to plan for the next four years of work promoting healthy food. We are investigating structural barriers and opportunities to support our community’s ability to access nourishing food now and into the future
- Healthy eating and food literacy in schools
- Home Harvest FEASTival and Home Harvest Month
- Seasonal Cooking Challenges and information at the Eltham Farmers Market
- Free Food Garden at our Main Road Eltham building
- In particular, addressing sugary drinks is a focus area for theNorth East Primary Care Partnership
- Supporting the local community group, Local Food Connect