Name : Joan Lauricella
1. What is your role at healthAbility? I am a Family Support Worker, which means I provide parenting support and information to parents. I do this either by meeting with the parents individually or through parenting groups and seminars that I run. I offer a range of groups to help parents increase their confidence in parenting and understand and manage their children’s behaviour.
I can assist families with managing a range of issues including
- Bedtime problems
- Mealtime difficulties
- Children not following instructions
- Aggression towards parents, siblings and others
- Developing a child’s emotional intelligence
- Managing a child’s anxiety.
2. How long have you worked at healthAbility? I started in October 2002, so I have just celebrated my 17th year!
3. What do you enjoy most about your work? I really enjoy what I do but I would have to say hearing about the positive changes families make in their lives – parents and children enjoying each other more; parents feeling more confident and empowered in raising their children. Happy families in happy homes.
4. What do you get asked about the most by parents? Parents ask me lots of questions, which I love. I would have to say that question I get asked the most by parents would be “How do I get my child to listen to me?” There really is no short answer to this but my tip would be to give children effective instructions. There are effective ways and not so effective ways for parents to give instructions. If an instruction is given well, it will increase the likelihood of it being followed. Giving good instructions is a skill that can be learnt. It is a skill worth learning given how many instructions parents give each day (estimated the average parent gives 60 instructions a day)!
5. What’s one piece of advice you would give parents? Trust in yourself and listen to your instincts. If you feel that your family’s situation is becoming unmanageable and you would benefit from some guidance and support, see assistance as early as possible; don’t wait for things to get really bad. I am here to help.
Since 1976 our aim has been to ensure everyone in our community has access to high quality support and care.
We also offer a broad selection of services that can help improve people’s quality of life and support them to live independently, actively and safely in their own homes and within their community’s for as long as possible. healthAbility has a long history in supporting individuals and their families during every age and stage of life to improve or manage health and wellbeing.
Our specialist clinicians are committed to working with you and your child to maximise abilities targeting your child’s full potential.
Contact our Families Support Team on 9430 9100.