25 March 2020
Ai Chi – Program Suspended.
To help stop the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) in our community we have temporarily suspended some of our programs and services. Current group participants have been notified. We are continually monitoring this situation and will be in touch with clients if Ai Chi can be delivered remotely or when it resumes.
Please get in contact if you have any questions or concerns by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Movement in water
Ai Chi uses flowing, graceful and soft movements. This program can help you to exercise in a relaxed and supported way by including the physical, mental and spiritual benefits of exercising in water.
Ai Chi may be beneficial in treating many conditions, some of which include acute and chronic pain, back pain, balance problems, arthritis, fibromyalgia, stress, emotional and mental health issues, orthopedic and neurological conditions. Ai Chi is conducted in shoulder deep, warm water with a pool temperature of approximately 32°C.
Benefits of undertaking exercise in water:
- It builds strength – as you move against the water’s resistance your muscles develop and grow stronger, especially when you’re pushing yourself to improve.
- It’s easy on your joints – swimming and other water exercises are incredibly easy on the joints, and also carries a low risk of injury.
- It’s good for flexibility – the buoyancy provided by water enables you to move in ways you might not be able to on land. This makes it possible for stiff muscles and joints to slowly improve their flexibility and regain full range of motion.
- It burns calories – The real beauty of aquatic exercise is that even though it burns calories at a rate similar to that of other aerobic activities, it often feels easier.
- It’s heart healthy – water exercise is an aerobic activity. That means it gets your heart pumping and engaging your cardiovascular system in a way that can improve heart health.
How can I join this group?
Please contact healthAbility on 9430 9100 to register your interest or complete an online enquiry form.
When does this group run?
Every Wednesday except during school holidays, 2.30pm – 3.15pm.
Where does this group run?
Eltham Leisure Centre, 40 Brougham St, Eltham
How much does it cost?
$10 per session
Who supervises this group?
Volunteers who have been trained by Physiotherapists lead each session. Our Physiotherapists attend 3 times a month to supervise and assist participants in their initial session. Volunteers report to Physiotherapists who oversee the group.